Tuesday, October 21, 2008

On the Road Again

One of my biggest challenges is business travel. My job requires quite a bit, and for some reason September-October has been the busiest travel times for me for the last couple years. What has business travel typically meant for me--getting off track with clean eating and exercise. Here is what a typical travel day has been in the past:

Morning: Too tired to get up and work out because the day before was a long day or the gym is small with little equipment so I just say forget it. I am tempted by the biscuits and fried potatoes on the breakfast menu. I show up to the meeting, and a big plate of muffins just call my name.
Lunch: Boy do those fried house made chips look good! Wait, is that buttery, creamy seafood chowder!
Dinner: Hmmm, the warm bread basket, calamari, and bread pudding with caramel sauce would be the perfect end to my long, stressful day.
Bedtime: I can't sleep; I have more emails to return; I can live on only 5 hours sleep.
Then this typical day turns into a typical few days, with different food temptations, and then BAM I have gained 2 lbs or more!! Then, when I get back home, it's tough to get back on track.

This October I am determined NOT to let this be the norm! Things started off a little shaky, but I am now carrying my fruit, nuts, and Ezekiel cereal with me to my meetings. I am going to the gym, and when the gym is not the best--I get creative and use the hotel stairs or go for a power walk. I am eating sensibly for breakfast (every hotel has oatmeal), lunch and dinner. I will have a treat if I want a taste of something I normally wouldn't have, but I have my eyes on my goals. I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as being healthy and fit feels (and it will feel even better when I reach my goal).

May the force be with me!

No comments: