Monday, May 31, 2010

A Positive Reflection on my Grandfather

Today, our nation honors those brave men and women who have given their lives so that we can continue to live in the land of the free with security. Many in our nation also take time out today to remember those non-veteran loved ones who are no longer with us. As I reflect on the memories of those who have departed, I also want to take time to reflect on one who is very dear to me and very much alive: my grandfather Charles Dennerson Robbins, pictured here with me a week ago Saturday on the Spirit of Norfolk.

My grandfather, an 85 years young, is full of life and energy (he exercise daily and is very careful with his diet). I hope to be half as active at 58 as he is at 85. He is also by far one of the two most brilliant men I know (the other being my Sweetie). Granddad is a real "Renaissance Man", known to quote Shakespeare or Milton at any random time or break out in an operatic sounding melody (not being funny here, he has an awesome voice that didn't make it to me!).

Granddad is also known for writing short positive reflections of the highest literary quality. He gave me the following one recently that I had to post; I want to honor him now while he is still with me:

Positive Reflection by C.D. Robbins

Life is a miracle. Each day, each moment-another miracle.
Time and today still ours to share; 'Seize the moment'.
Be thankful.
Be proud.
Be happy.
You're still part of the miracle.

No comments: