Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Always Room for Improvement

A few weeks from now will mark three weeks since I started the Eat-Clean journey. I have encountered some bumps in the road, took a couple detours that ended at dead ends, but I always manage to find my way back to the right Eat-Clean road.

Overall, I have been successful. I am content with my progress. But, I know I can do better. I know that I can finally shed these last 10+ lbs once and for all. I know I can improve my Eat-Clean diet.

What's next: working harder to minimize my sodium intake even more. I have been hearing quite a bit on health shows about how awful Americans are with salt. I watch family members and friends add salt to everything before even tasting it.

I am actually pretty good about limiting my salt intake. Something has to have virtually no taste at all (like the disappointing she-crab soup I had in Williamsburg recently) before I add salt now. I use to seasoned salt all the time thinking it to be better, but it has quite a bit of sodium too. So, I focus on garlic and onion powder, Italian seasoning, and black pepper.

However, I realized yesterday morning that I was overlooking a pretty high sodium intake with one of my favorite Eat-Clean at home breakfasts: egg whites, veggies, salsa on Light Flat Out wrap. What's the culprit? Salsa!

My usual brand of salsa has about 250 mg of sodium. I could certainly eliminate the sodium in salsa altogether by making my own, but I am realistic. I KNOW I don't have time or the desire to make my own when there are really so many options out there.

In the produce section of the grocery store, there is a nice selection of low sodium (75mg/serving) options. It really is true that the outside perimeter of the grocery store is the best place to shop. I bought medium, regular and roasted garlic (YUM!).

I was also looking for some new low sodium seasonings. I have rediscovered an longstanding brand--Mrs. Dash. NO SALT! I got the Table and Chipotle varieties and can wait to season my chicken and fish and throw some on the grill.

I am looking forward to seeing how this modification will improve my physique.

I am Shay Shay Fit-Improved!

No comments: