Sunday, August 8, 2010

I CAN Be Sensible in Social Settings!

Well, I did it! I survived the weekend without blowing the progress made during the week!.



I started my Saturday morning with an egg white, feta, and asparagus omelet and toasted Flatout wrap. Then I had a banana and Kashi bar before my 3 hours of tennis practice in the heat (got to get ready for Mixed Doubles State).



After 3 hours of practice, I was HUNGRY--no, more like STARVING! I had lost about 2lbs in water and was drenched in sweat. Sounds horrible, but I could have stayed out there all day if I had packed more water and food--oh, and if I didn't need to get ready for the McGhee Super Slammers Team Pool Party and BBQ.



The Party: First: WE HAD A BLAST!!!! Great Friends, BBQ, Pool, and Music--a perfect Saturday! I am so proud of myself and thankful to my teammates who brought healthy options. There were lots of sugar laden options too, but I managed to drum up enough willpower to avoid the cheesecake, birthday cake (for D), Tin Roof Sundae Ice Cream (a childhood favorite), and pound cake. I even avoided one of my addictive favs: blue corn chips! Oh, and I can't forget the cocktails--none for Shay Shay!



Thanks to Alissa aka The Beast (a cross-fit training queen), I enjoyed oh so tasty lean turkey burgers w/ feta and spinach. I brought some Flatout wraps, so I wrapped the burger with some romaine and tomato and had a great meal!. I grilled some fish, so I had a piece of that and also had a chicken and sundried tomato sausage link, no bun (probably wasn't all that lean, but it was protein, so I indulged without guilt.) Our super hostess Imani aka ibestroking.com made a huge fruit salad and I made up some plain greek yogurt dip with agave nectar and Splenda to cure sweet toothes--it was pefect!



Anna Mae, my trainer, also turned me on to an awesome treat: rice cake topped with fresh ground honey roasted peanut butter and Crainsins. OH IT WAS GOOD! My teammates looked at us like we had three heads; they just couldn't understand how it could be a treat for us! This will definitely be added to my list of treats!



Looking back, I was thinking I ate a little more than I should have, but when I wrote it all down in my food journal I had still only eaten about the equivalent amount of food that I would normally eat on any weekday when I have my regular 5-6 meals. Saturday the meals were just more compacted and at one setting. AND, I got in some pool and dancing time, so I wasn't just sitting around. I'm counting this social event eating a real victory!



Sunday I met a really good and fellow 'Hoo (UVA) friend in town from South Africa (he's working there for about a year). He's vegetarian, so we went to one of my favorite spots R. Thomas Deluxe Grill. I had the grilled veggie on whole wheat sandwich with white cheddar. Very tasty. I haven't been eating bread these days, so this was my "one thing" for the weekend as discussed with the dietitian.

It's time to hit the sack and get ready for tomorrow morning's cardio session. I am proud I got through this weekend without blowing all my week's work.

I'm Shay Shay, and I'm Keeping the Momentum Going!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You're such a rock star! So proud of you! That was my last hoorah for awhile! I'll be looking to you for inspiration!

Winks & Smiles,
Wifey

Shay Shay said...

Ah, Thanks Wifey! Keep me accountable! And you're quite inspiring yourself Mrs. Runner of Marathons!