Friday, October 19, 2012

Pumpkin Pie Spice of Life

I am sure I have said it before--I LOVE FALL and YES, I love FALL FOOD!  Pumpkin is one of those foods that I have grown to love over the last couple years. Unfortunately, my love affair with Pumpkin really started a couple years ago with Pumpkin Muffins from Dunkin Donuts. Well, that affair didn't end well as those muffins can pack on lots of calories and sugar that Shay Shay's body just doesn't need!

Last year, I decided to conquer the Dunkin Pumpkin Muffin temptation with making my own version as posted here:

 http://losingfatandwinning.blogspot.com/2011/09/spibelt-pumpkin-muffins-and-running.html

This year, I am even more focused on my training, clean eating, and body sculpting, so even my own clean version of pumpkin muffins are not "on plan" right now.

What is Shay Shay to do?

Well, I have been seeing lots of clean recipes using pumpkin pie spice. I had never used it before--probably would have been great in my muffins actually. Anyhoo, I decided to buy some and see how I can get my Fall Pumpkin Fix and stay "on plan".

SO GLAD I DID!

Pumpkin Pie Spice really spruced up my morning oatmeal and protein shake.

For my oatmeal and my chocolate protein shake I added the following to my cooked oats:
  • Dash tsp nutmeg
  • Dash cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
Now you can play with the amount based on your desired spice tolerance--I am all about season to one's OWN TASTE!  I like the kick, but most folks probably only need the Dash of nutmeg and cinnamon and the 1/2 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice. I don't add stevia, but that may sweeten up the spicy if you need.

Oh, and I add 2 tablespoons Bee Pollen Granules to my oatmeal.  This Super-Duper Food has all sorts of health benefits but also adds a nice little flavor to my oats.  Two tablespoons of flaxseed and egg whites are also a great addition to have a fully balanced bowl of oatmeal.  Oh, and of course, if you are eating fruit with your morning oatmeal, try adding a few tablespoons of pumpkin



Keep it Spicy and Have a Great Weekend! I sure plan on it! 



No comments: