Saturday, December 20, 2008

It's Been Awhile: Kettlebells, What NOT to Eat, The Great Oprah Debate and more

I have been all over the place the last couple weeks with work and traveling, and my brain has been going into overdrive with things I want to share. So here goes:


Kettlebells: My sweetie has been using kettlebells for a little while now, and I have watched his physique really lean out and build muscle. Determined to look like a 10 in my own right, but not look like a 10 (him being the 1) when we stand together, I tackled my first kettlebell experience yesterday (to learn about kettlebells go to: http://www.gymcondition.com/). The vibe at Gym Condition, The Kettlebell Gym was awesome! The instructors were fantastic! I am really looking forward to incorporating kettlebells into my fitness lifestyle. Stay tuned . . .


Does Anyone Send Fruit?!?: It's the holiday season, and everyone who works in an office environment knows what that means: cookies, candy and other sweets brought in or delivered to the office for about two weeks! Now, I am thankful for all the generosity and spirit of the holidays from fellow co-workers and contractors, BUT REALLY, I don't recall fruit baskets being unavailable during the holidays! I have been determined not to go crazy, saving my sweet indulgences for only the special type of treats that I have never had. But, let's face it--everything someone brought seemed special, new, and a must have! I managed to exercise some discipline, but not enough for the goals I have. I'm not beating myself up about it at all. That homemade Tequila Lime Cheesecake made by the awesome woman who recruited me to Atlanta was oh so tasty (and she said it was low-fat)!!!


What Not to Eat: As I mentioned, the last couple weeks have been quite crazy. For some reason, last week I just gave in to so many indulges. I'm not saying that I am going to live a life without enjoying fine food (because I AM a TRUE Foodie), but I also know that a lot of little indulges here and there can add up to a lot of pounds if I'm not careful. And, I am truly believe that for me, Nothing tastes as good as being and looking fit feels. Below is what I am calling the Anti-food Diary: taking a mental inventory of all I ate at the start of the new week because I'm feeling a bit squishy!

  • lots of feta cheese

  • homemade potato chips

  • half bag white cheddar popcorn

  • way too many Biscoff cookies (I had some on the plane and AT HOME!)

  • sweet potato pie

  • Seafood Crepe with Creme Sauce

  • Apple and Pear Tart with Ice Cream

  • Wine

  • Two trips to Brunch Buffet: grits, fried catfish, potatoes, brioche french toast with bananas foster, and a Bellini

  • Nacho cheese


Needless to say, this was NOT Clean Eating. It was all tasty, but just way too much when you add it up for one week. Trust me, my body felt it too.


The Great Oprah Debate: Like many women (and men) all over, when Oprah announced her new cover for O Magazine showing a fit, lean, and toned 160 lb Oprah from 2005 and then showing the current 200 lb Oprah I wanted to hear what she had to say. Recall, this is my second journey toward health and fitness, so I could relate. So, I went to the local bookstore and picked up a copy of the magazine. When I check out, the twenty-something male cashier says something like, "I don't like the 160 lb Oprah. . . I mean, she is has a big frame, so she is not supposed to be small." So, I say, "do you think that the 200 lb Oprah is the picture of health?" Meanwhile, I'm thinking, what does this guy know!?!?! By this time, my Sweetie is growing a little impatient that I may really engage in a debate with this guy. I started talking about how BMI doesn't necessarily tell the whole story if you strength train and are muscular but that I believe there is a certain unhealthy amount of body fat one could carry. Then, I realized that it was no use debating this guy. It was a beautiful Sunday, and I had plans! Later, I wondered if I had been my former 200 pound self, would this guy had said anything to me? What was his issue? I remembered him saying to me, "I mean, I have a few pounds I could stand to lose (as he grabbed the few inches of love handles around his waist), but I think there is too much pressure on women to be thin." So, was this cashier really concerned about women and the unhealthy pressure that I agree is out there or was he just a tad insecure about his own love handles? Who knows? What I do know is that there is a lot of unhealthy emphasis on being thin and not enough focus on being healthy, fit, and happy. I am focused on the latter and will work to dismantle the former.

Happy Holidays: I am looking forward to some time off with my family. I wish you a wonderful and blessed holiday season!

Thanks for reading!

No comments: