Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Stress, The Other Pint of Ice Cream

I'm sure you have heard that Pork is the Other White Meat. Well, for me Stress is the Other Pint of Ice Cream. But you know what: Shay Shay DOESN'T EAT PORK, and I WON'T LET STRESS GET THE BEST OF ME!

I have read numerous articles that unhealthy stress levels can pack on the pounds and/or inches. Hence, it's the Other Pint of Ice Cream. Like everyone, I have a lot going on right now--personally, at work, the holidays are here. Around 4:00 yesterday my shoulders were so tense that I had to pause. When my shoulders get this tense, I know that I am letting stress get the best of me. So, I took a minute to exhale! This helped some, but Shay Shay needed a little more to shake this unhealthy level of stress.

Around 6:00, I took a break from work and headed to the gym. I did some lower body strength training, which I was scheduled to do. But, let's face it--strength training isn't the most relaxing thing in the world. Necessary, but really not all that relaxing when you see your face scrunch up and have to make all kinds of sounds to push out that last rep!

So, Shay Shay danced! As I was finishing up strength training, Latin Impact was about to start. I got in there and just let it go--let go all the pressures I am facing. I didn't even stay for the whole class (Shay Shay got a little hungry), but just those 25 minutes really made a difference for me (and I burned some extra calories-sweet).

With my shoulders relaxed, I was able to go home, have a bowl of Ezekiel Cereal with almond milk and bananas and crank out some more work before I went to bed. I slept well! And, I woke up feeling great and ready to take on the day!

Happy Hump Day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One day... I would love to attend the Latin Impact class with you as a guest.. sounds like fun! Stress also increases cortisol which is absolutely that other pint of icecream...