Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Sacrificing, but Winning in Life!

So, I had this idea that I want to do more than just exercise to get fit. I want to be an athlete. So, as I've shared before, I'm focusing on improving my tennis game (including reading a great book: The Inner Game of Tennis), I'm training for a half-marathon, eating for fuel (most days and working on getting better) and trying more non-traditional forms of training (like kettlebells-although this type of training is really catching on now).

What I am finding out that being a true athlete takes more than the average motivation and discipline. It takes real sacrifice--not just saying no to the calamari, fried potatoes, and homemade bread (some of Shay Shay's favorites). When I think about it, I've had to sacrifice time (time away from my Sweetie and some friends who don't share the love of tennis, and I have to hit the bed early to be fresh for the next training day), my body (my knees hurt from time to time; I have an annoying pain in my foot from playing tennis that I have been nursing the last few days AND I NEED A SERIOUS PEDICURE by a Professional--I HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF THIS BODY; it's the only one I have), and money (tennis, gym, and marathon fees aren't cheap, so I've had to cut back on some other things, recall that professional pedicure I need? ).

As one of my dear friends says, "Girl, why are you doing all of this again?" Really, despite the sacrifices, I AM HAVING THE TIME OF MY LIFE!!! Yeah, I need to figure out this time management thing, but I will figure it out and my Sweetie and friends have been super supportive of me. And yes, my body is not as young as it use to be, but I'm figuring out how to take better care of it when it gets a little beat up. And, if I wasn't spending money on tennis and gym related things, I'd be eating out and buying shoes and purses that I don't need or have room for (I have quite a nice collection already).

I truly feel like I'm Winning in Life! Work does not consume me, but I am more productive than ever. I'm meeting terrific new people. I feel great (and looking pretty darn good too! Watch out Summer--Shay Shay WILL BE READY!!).

So, actually, I don't feel like I'm sacrificing all that much because I am gaining SO MUCH MORE!!

No comments: