Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Welcome Back!

What was gone?

Poultry. Almost a year ago, my trainer and I decided to eliminate poultry from my diet. My trainer had his reasons, but for me it was about lack of discipline. Although there are healthy chicken choices, I was just not making them. Chick-Fil-A sandwiches and biscuits in the airport while traveling (not the grilled kind either), Publix Mardi Gras wings (so yummy), and Chicken Quesadillas (with a plate full of chips to compliment) were my choices, and I would make them more often than I needed!

Giving up poultry really wasn't that hard for me. Once I determined that my health was more important than the taste of the bad choices I was making, it wasn't a big deal. This is how I've managed not eating beef or pork for the last 10 years. I really hadn't missed poultry at all. Grilled chicken and regular old turkey just seemed lame. Veggie and blackbean burgers replaced turkey burgers. It was all good.

Recently my Sweetie moved back to ATL. He is an awesome clean eating cook. He has really helped me add variety to my eating plan. Lately, he has been making chicken and peppers and his technique is very clean. One day, the chicken and peppers smelled so good that I decided to try some (no need to offend the cook, right?).

Well, that chicken was so tender, so flavorful AND SO HEALTHY that I determined that I don't have to totally give up chicken. My Sweetie's chicken is sooo good that I don't feel deprived by eating just some plain old grilled chicken. Because it's sooo tasty, the calories from (not to mention the money spent on) bad chicken choices won't seem worth it.

So here's to my Sweetie and his chicken and peppers! Tasty and packed with muscle building protein. Next, I'll have to try these super fancy chicken burgers he makes (all still within moderation, of course).

Well, I better get to bed soon (it's only 8:50 PM). I have a 5:00 AM training run tomorrow.

No comments: