Monday, January 19, 2009

Happy MLK Day, Strength Training REALLY Does Make a Difference and I AM a Runner!

Today, the world celebrates the birth of one of the greatest men ever to walk the earth-Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. For the first time ever, I didn't just have a day off--I served. My Sweetie and I helped prepare breakfast at a shelter for families. During these tough economic times, I am truly thankful to be able to serve others. I AM BLESSED! Better than Blessed, and I thank the Lord!

When I went through my first journey at weight loss 10 years ago, I was a Cardio Queen! I didn't know much about strength training and thought it was for the guys who wanted to get bulky. Besides, I needed to lose FAT before I could think about building muscles, right? WRONG!!! I now know that strength training is essential to fat loss, and I have the evidence to prove it! When I lost the weight 10 years ago, I got down to 146 lbs and a size 8 pants. Today, at 157 lbs (Hmm, I don't think I've ever said exactly how much I weighed before; Shay Shay doesn't care, but I digress! ), I was able to buy and wear a size 8 pair of slacks! A 9 lb difference !! I can only attribute this to strength training and eating muscle building superfoods. My legs, arms, and abs are much more shapely at 157 than they were at 146. So, I am going to keep at it. I get frustrated at times when I feel like my progress is not coming fast enough, but I know that slow and steady WINS THE RACE!! I will have that lean, but shapely body I deserve!

On another note, I ran for a full hour today--FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER!!! My training called for endurance, not speed so I averaged about a 14.3 minute mile for a little over 4 miles logged today. My good friend asked my yesterday, "Why in the world would you put your body, especially your feet, through such a thing as a half marathon?" The sense of accomplishment I have today for challenging myself is why! I am looking forward to reaching the 8 mile milestone and then on to 13.2!! This round is definitely different from the last time I signed up for a half-marathon and didn't run. This time, I AM A RUNNER!! I AM SHAY SHAY!!!!

No comments: