Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Shay Shay Takes on Election Day!



Yesterday I was able to play an active role in the most historic election of my almost 32 years! I was a Poll Watcher at a Fulton County Precinct, and what an exciting day! Here's how it went:
  • 1:00 AM- I finally go to bed.
  • 4:00 AM- I wake up to finish preparing my materials for the day. Only 3 hours sleep! A real no, no! Shay Shay needs her sleep!
  • 5:00 AM- I eat my favorite oatmeal and then head out to make copies of materials.
  • 6:30 AM-I arrive with two boxes of sweet smelling doughnuts and juice. Shay Shay, keep it together; these are not for you! They are for the Poll Workers. I had my cooler filled with clean eats: hummus, raw broccoli, apples, bananas, strawberries, almonds, and multigrain pita chips (those pita chips can be dangerous; so darn yummy!). Yeah, I could have brought clean eats for the Poll Workers too, but I wanted them to let me in the door! They were facing a long day and under a lot of pressure. They wanted SUGAR!! I'm no clean eating prude, but Shay Shay must remain focused!
  • 7:00 AM-The polls open. The line is down the street!
  • 7:00 AM-7:00 PM-I work to protect voters rights. Exercise for the day consists of standing for 8 straight hours before sitting for a moment and getting back up again. Shay Shay keep away from the pizza, potato chips, and Twinkies!
  • 7:15 PM- I arrive at my neighborhood election night party. I'm still energized, but my back is killing me (As you can see, I endure with a smile because this night is HUGE!). Okay, who brought the fried chicken tenders and buttered popcorn!?! Oh, wait, Shay, Shay! There is an Edible Arrangements Fruit Basket. Salvation!! Nope--Mayday,Mayday: CHOCOLATE DIPPED FRUIT EVERYWHERE! Hey, this is a celebration, right? I indulge (except for the chicken tenders), and it was all tasty!
  • 9:00 PM- Shay Shay is about to crash. As you can see: Shannon takes over and stretches out under her wrap and watches the results.
  • No concept of time anymore: Dead tired. Wait, they are projecting a winner: Obama wins! Shay Shay returns and is ready to party!

It really was a SUPER day! Throughout the day, all the voters were patient and expressed so much appreciation for the work of the Poll Workers and my work as the Poll Watcher. It was so awesome to work with a group of Poll Workers that ranged in age from early 20s to 70s. To see the young and young at heart work together and work together so well as one unit warmed my spirit. I am inspired by the history that I am witnessing and am thankful that I could play a small role.

P.S. I am determined to make a little history of my own in the health and fitness world--starting with one day looking fabulous in that green bikini I bought! :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this blog! Your posts are very detailed and for people trying to shed pounds, you provide specific tips on how they may be as successful in their journey as you...

THANK YOU.