Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Why Shay Shay Has to Get Sleep!

I have read a lot lately that a 6 AM workout is only effective if you go to bed at 10 PM the night before. I have also read that a lack of sleep (less than 7 hours) could actually add flab to the waistline (WHO WANTS THAT--Not Shay Shay!)

There was a time, when I was in bed by 9:30 pm and at the gym by 5:10 am. Now early morning workouts are not for everyone. I am blessed and cursed as a VERY EARLY morning person. I felt great, was making steady progress toward my fat loss goals, and had lots of energy throughout the day--very productive at work! Lately, I have been staying up WAY TOO LATE in part due to blogging (which I am enjoying) and Facebook (it can be addictive!). I have been getting up still for 5 AM workouts, but I found myself sluggish throughout the day. What's the point of that!

I was scheduled to hit the gym this morning at 5 AM, but I didn't get home from tennis until after 10 PM, which meant I didn't go bed until around 11:00 PM.

So, I decided after much debate that I had to get the proper rest. I skipped the gym this morning to get an extra hour or so of rest. I'll get in some exercise tonight instead. And, wouldn't you know, I have much more energy and feel much more productive today! Rest is an important part to achieving my health and fitness goals. I have to make rest a priority!! In addition to keeping my food diary, I am going to start logging when I go to bed and how I feel in the morning and throughout the day (at least until I get back into the habit of going to bed at a good time). I know this may sound like a lot to add into one's life, but it will only take a few minutes, and I believe it will have a big pay off! Stay tuned . . .

No comments: