Sunday, March 21, 2010

It's All About the Labels!

My schedule has been a little wacky over the last few weeks, so I have not had a chance (or more accurately haven't taken the chance) to really take my time in the grocery store. I've been dashing in and out picking up things here and there so that I can eat as clean and consistently as possible.

I had really been looking forward to adding some beets to my meal plan--tasty and major nutrient benefits. A few days ago, between stops, I hit the grocery store. While talking on the phone (like driving, the phone is not good while grocery shopping), I picked up a jar of beets.

Tonight I got a major disappointment with those beets. For a meal tomorrow, I defrosted some cooked shrimp to put on a spinach salad with mandarin oranges, chopped walnuts/sunflower seeds, and feta. YUM! The beets were going to be the perfect addition. I threw a few on top and put the meal in the refrigerator. A few moments later, I remembered that I hadn't put the jar of beets in the refrigerator. When I went back to the kitchen to do so, I decided to look at the ingredients. BAM--there it was High Fructose Corn Syrup! Yikes!

Normally, I am so careful in the grocery store and pay close attention to labels when I cannot get fresh food, which is the best way to ensure the food item is clean. I learned a lesson from a loaf of wheat bread when I first started eating clean (almost three years ago) and went grocery shopping. But this time, I was so busy running in the store, trying to hurry up, and talking on the phone, I picked up the beets and checked out without checking to see what ingredients were added.

While I am not big on labels for fashion (although I am brand loyal to a particular shoe brand--my feet are "special"), when eating clean I MUST pay attention to labels! The fewer ingredients the better and NO HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP!

Lesson learned-AGAIN!

No comments: